PHIL MICKELSON misses next month’s Masters for the first time in 28 years.
The three-time champion withdrew from golf indefinitely in February last year amid a backlash against his participation in the Saudi Super League and comments about the PGA.
Mickelson, 51, is listed on the Masters website as a “past champion not to compete”.
The iconic left-handed person has been removed from the participant list. This only happens on request.
And Mickelson, who won the Green Jacket in 2004, 2006 and 2010, will miss the Augusta showpiece for the first time since 1994.
The American has not competed in any competition since February 3-6, after finishing tied for 18th at Saudi International on the Asia Tour.
Excerpts from an unapproved biography released that month claimed that the golfer called Saudi a ‘scary man’ but was willing to defy Saudi Arabia’s human rights record to gain influence on the PGA Tour.
The Saudi Arabian government has denied the accusations of human rights violations.
Mickelson apologized for the comments being out of record and said he plans to spend some time playing golf. Since then, he has lost many patrons.
PGA Tour chairman Jay Monahan was asked about Mickelson’s future ahead of the Players Championship in early March.
He said: “[Mickelson] He said he wanted time to be away and reflect. It is something we and I will respect and respect.
“We’ll have that conversation when he’s ready to return to the PGA Tour. That’s the conversation I’m looking forward to.
I haven’t spoken to Phil since he said he’d step down after he made his comments.
“I think the ball is on his court. I would welcome his call, but it’s hard to talk about other scenarios I can play with.
“Hey, he’s a 45-time winner on the PGA Tour. He has a Hall of Fame career. He won the Players Championship here. helped to
“As difficult as it is to read some of what was said, ultimately the conversation will be when he’s ready to do it, and I’ll be ready to have it too.”